Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
59761513

What is the tax treatment on forgivable loans to brokers

Customer Question

What is the tax treatment on forgivable loans to brokers?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : Debt forgiven is considered ordinary income unless an exception applies.
Jax Tax : If forgiven as a gift, it is not. If forgiven in association with some other type of income (say rent) of becomes rental income.
JACUSTOMER-ho6zrhwd- :

If the upfront award given is $700,000 over a period of 9 years and says it is a forgiveable loan is the incentive amount taxable as oridinary income when received or if the time period is a total of 9 years does the 700,000 get taxed in year 9? I have heard there is an established interest rate that is amortized and is taxable annually until the loan is forgiven.

JACUSTOMER-ho6zrhwd- :

Please clarify what part is taxable and when.

Jax Tax : If the principle is $700000 and on a set repayment, the amount that is forgiven each year is income in that year. So if forgiven over 9 years, it is taxed over 9 years.
Jax Tax : As for interest. If the loan calls for interest and it to is forgiven then it is also income in the year forgiven.
Jax Tax : You speak of an established rate. There is a minimum rate set by IRS "safe harbor rates" for related party transactions but typically the interest rate is set by contract within the loan document.
Jax Tax : Safe harbor rates Chang but are low 1% or so.
Jax Tax : Still, this is a rate that will be in the loan doc not just implied.
JACUSTOMER-ho6zrhwd- :

If the 700000 is to be paid over 5 years, and the loan rate is extremely small, why would they want to extend it to 9 years?

Jax Tax : You stated it was 9 years!. If it 5 years, then 5 it is.
Jax Tax : I must have Mister understood you.
Jax Tax : I must also be having problems typing today. If the loan is a five year term, the principle and interest will be income over 5 years as forgiven.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know if you have additional questions.