socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am trying to find my ex husbands federal return. no one

Customer Question

I am trying to find my ex husbands federal return. no one will tell me where it is and he is in jail and owes me almost 12000 in arrears
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

What is the question that I can "justanswer" for you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how do i find the refund

The only way to intercept your ex-spouse's tax refund is to open a case with Utah DHS. See this link.

DHS can instruct the IRS to redirect any tax refund to its accounts, and then DHS will pay you. You don't need your ex-husband's tax return to do this.

Note: If you already have a case open with DHS, and your ex is in arrears, then the refund will be automatically seized and sent to you.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“ToCustomerrdquo;), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!