CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

Doctor is writing prescription for hot tub - lower back problems

Doctor is writing prescription for hot tub - lower back problems & husband has has hip replacement. Need to make sure tub is purchased from dealer? or can you purchase a new/used from individual - how to show on taxes as medical expense?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You can purchase the medical equipment any place you wish. It gets included on Schedule A of your personal tax return. It does not get a special line or any other description. Please be sure to keep the prescription and keep a receipt for the purchase (including any shipping costs you pay). Also be careful just what size you purchase. The prescription is for your husband so a 6 person hot tub will not qualify if you are audited. A 2 person will qualify since that is a common size while a single person is not always available. Also, in your search, print and retain the pages if you shop online to illustrate (again if you are ever audited) that you did not go overboard. Sometimes a 4 person will be less costly than a 1 or 2 person and these pages will help substantiate that you were only trying to frugally honor the prescription.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - we are looking at a 3 person, I understand the larger ones. Does the prescription need to be specific & include the both of us? Do I need to have other medical records to show issue or reason for hot tub?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.
The prescription and a receipt are technically all you need. However, on audit an agent can disallow the equipment if he/she feel sit is not solely for health care reasons. Get documentation to prove the 3 person tub is less costly than a 2 person and you have it nailed.There is no need to include you in the prescription unless the doctor believes you also require this.
CGCPA, CPA
Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters