How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3444
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim for toll road fees on my tax if so up to how much

Resolved Question:

Can I claim for toll road fees on my tax if so up to how much a year
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.
My apologies, Please ignore previous answer, I did not realize that the question was relating to Australia.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The person who answered was from another country and did not know the answer
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm the person who answered the question previously. Please let me clarify that though I am from another country, I am authorized to respond to questions in this region as well. As stated previously, I did not realize that the question was an Australian question until after I had answered it. I apologize for the error. It appears that the rules for deducting toll fees in Australia aren't much different than in the U.S. If the toll fees are work related, the answer to the question is yes, you can deduct the toll fees. On your tax return, the deduction is a D2-work related deduction. You can refer to the following for more information.

This question is about travel expenses you incur that are directly related to your work as an employee.

They include:

public transport, including air travel and taxi fares
bridge and road tolls, parking fees and short-term car hire
meal, accommodation and incidental expenses you incur while away overnight for work expenses for motorcycles and vehicles with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or nine or more passengers, such as utility trucks and panel vans actual expenses (such as any petrol, oil and repair costs) you incur to travel in a car that is owned or leased by someone else.

If your employer provided a car for you or your relatives' exclusive use and you or your relatives were entitled to use it for non-work purposes, you cannot claim a deduction for work-related expenses for its direct operation, such as petrol, oil and repairs. This is the case even if the expenses relate directly to your work. However, you can claim expenses such as parking and bridge and road tolls for work-related use of the car.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you