Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

How long does the IRS require me to keep personal tax records

Customer Question

How long does the IRS require me to keep personal tax records and receipts. And how long if for business tax records.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In brief, a maximum of 7 years, but it depends. SEE BELOW:

--------------------------------------------------

The length of time you should keep a document depends on the action, expense, or event the document records. Generally, you must keep your records that support an item of income or deductions on a tax return until the period of limitations for that return runs out.

The period of limitations is the period of time in which you can amend your tax return to claim a credit or refund, or that the IRS can assess additional tax. The below information contains the periods of limitations that apply to income tax returns. Unless otherwise stated, the years refer to the period after the return was filed. Returns filed before the due date are treated as filed on the due date.

Note: Keep copies of your filed tax returns. They help in preparing future tax returns and making computations if you file an amended return.

You owe additional tax and situations (2), (3), and (4), below, do not apply to you; keep records for 3 years.;

You do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return; keep records for 6 years.;

You file a fraudulent return; keep records indefinitely.;

You do not file a return; keep records indefinitely.;

You file a claim for credit or refund* after you file your return; keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
You file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction; keep records for 7 years.;

Keep all employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.

------------------------------------------------

You can refer to the following for more detailed information:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98513,00.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, you made that pretty complicated. I assume by reading your answer, that there isn't any fruaudulent returns and that I filed everything on time and do not expect to amend any of them, 3 years is the right answer.

Didn't understand this comment though, don't know what those numbers referred to:

"You owe additional tax and situations (2), (3), and (4), below, do not apply to you; keep records for 3 years"

Sorry, it wasn't my intent to make things complicated, my intent was to give you a detailed answer to minimize the going back and forth.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You didn't answer the question:

What is (2, (3) and (4) refer to.

As I do not want to complicate matters for you any further, I have released the question so that another expert may assist you.

Thank you.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You asked - How long does the IRS require me to keep personal tax records and receipts. And how long if for business tax records.
The issue is that there is no specific requirements for time period which we should keep tax record. Instead - that is each taxpayer's responsibility to determine how long to keep tax records. The same is true for business records.

As a general rule - the IRS has three year statue of limitation to assess additional tax liability - starting from the date when the tax return was due - that means if the taxpayer is audited within three years - he/she is required to provide supporting documents for income and deduction items. As long as the IRS is limited by the law to assess additional tax liability - no tax record required.
Thus for 2007 tax year - assuming the tax return was timely filled - the statute of limitation run out on Apr 15, 2011 - and no tax record is needed. The same is true for business tax records.

While the general rule is three years - there are many situations when records should be kept longer. Again - that is our responsibility to determine what and how long to keep.
For instance if you purchased a property in 2000 and sold it in 2010. Because to calculate capital gain on your 2010 tax return you should use the basis of the property - you need to keep all records related to that property starting from 2000 to support your purchase price, improvement expenses, etc - and keep these documents at least till Apr 15, 2014 - after that date the IRS would not be able to challenge your 2010 tax return.
Please consider the information above only as illustration - there are many other circumstances that might affect the time period of keeping records.

The IRS specifically addressed this question in this article - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98513,00.html
In previous expert reply (2, (3) and (4) are referred to ordered list items in this article.

The bottom line is that the IRS doesn't set any specific time period neither for individual nor for businesses - instead we as taxpayers based on ability for the IRS to assess additional tax liability should determine which tax documents to keep.