Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

here is my question. My mobther passed away in may of this

Customer Question

here is my question. My mobther passed away in may of this year. She was 89 years old. my brother was the executor of the will and estate. he said he had to prepay some estimated taxes earlier back in April of $35,000 and now that she has passed away itsd just gone. i was curious if this was true She only lived off SSI and and a small pension and a small quarterly stock dividend Can this be true? also this was a prepayment  ahead on 2011 taxes not a previous year??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : There could have been assets liquidated by the estate to pay creditors, honor the will, or to make needed distributions that were taxed. In this case, the estate would be required to pay estimated taxes. So yes, it is possible. You can request an accounting of the estate. This will show all dispositions of assets and cash.

This amount was paid several months before she passed away. There were no creditors It was told to me this was an estimated tax for 2011 i8s this possible

Either way if this was paid wont another return have to be filed for her after 02-15 which wouyld include this pre payment and then would a possible refund be due or not. Or when a person dies dont you still have to file a return because she was alive for part of 2011

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i didnt hear back
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Please see above.