Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

I have filed an extension 7004 for my Partnrship Tax Return

Customer Question

I have filed an extension 7004 for my Partnrship Tax Return which is due 9/15/2011. I am and have been seriously ill. I continue to be under Doctors care with medication rehab and continual visits to the Doctors. I am getting better but I would like to file an additional extension to file the 1065 until 10/15/2011. How do I do this. Do I have to write a letter to explain my cirmcumstances and will it be approved. Thank You ....Stanley L. Cusick
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

The 7004 extension gave you 6 months additional time to file. There is no additional extension generally available. However, if you submit a new 7004 asking for more time, attach a letter explaining the circumstance and a doctors letter the IRS will usually grant a reasonable request. The problem is that there is no guaranty it will be granted and you may just receive a 10 day extension.