How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to calculate line 44 on form 1040?

Resolved Question:

How do I calculate line 44 on a 1040 form?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.

Generally - taxes on line 44 is determined from tax tables based on the taxable income (line 43) - see tax tables here -

There are situations when taxes are calculated differently. For instance, if there are long-term Capital Gains - taxes on line 44 are calculated using the worksheet - see last page in instructions -

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: I need the tax table for 2009.

LEV: Please find the tax table in instructions - page 77 -

Customer: Thank you, where do you insert the social security withholding on the 1040?

LEV: FICA taxes (social security and Medicare taxes) withheld from wages are not reported on the Form 1040 and do not affect income tax determination. Income taxes withheld from social security income are added to the amount on line 61 on Form 1040 (2009) -

Customer: So, do I add the SS tax withheld to my Federal income tax withheld?

LEV: FICA taxes (social security and Medicare taxes) withheld from wages are not added to Federal income tax withheld.

Customer: Okay, thank you!

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions