Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I need to get a copy of an SS4 form submitted in January 2010.

Customer Question

I need to get a copy of an SS4 form submitted in January 2010. How can I do this? I am an attorney and I believe I was given a false document. I need the original from the IRS to verify this.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
You said you called the IRS. The contact number for teh SS4 applications would not be the same as the general IRS phone number. If you did not call the following number then I advise you to use it
1-800-829-4933
If any one can assist you in obtaining information from the filing they will be able to.

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

I am trying to connect with an agent now. My "prompt" options were not applicable. I am now on hold and will be waiting over 15 minutes to speak to an IRS representative. I already made attempts to contact the IRS. I was hoping for a definitive answer on how to get a copy - not how to make a call.

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

Further - nobody will speak to me because I am not an authorized agent of the corporation.

Robin D :

Well I understand that, but your situation is not general and the SS4 application for EIN is not normally requested to be returned (even a copy).

Robin D :

If you are not an authorized agent then they will not give you the info

Robin D :

It would be like giving me someone's tax info that I am not a party to

Robin D :

Perhaps there is some other way around your problem

Robin D :

The SS$ application is pretty staright forward. What part are you looking to check on?

Robin D :

sorry SS4

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

The copy I was given in discovery was not signed and already had a FEIN number on the application. I think they have recreated and fabricated a form because they are trying to hide the identity of the "true owner" of this business. If the IRS has a copy of the original SS4, then my question can be answered.

Robin D :

Well you are right. They will have the original but depending on how long ago the EIN was issued could be a problem

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

It's only been a year or year and a half. I need to find out how to get a copy.

Robin D :

Let me check one area, is this company in Illinois?

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

Yes

Robin D :

Ok 1 sec (Thanks)

Robin D :

Have you checked with the Illinois Secretary of state ? The SOS will hav eall companies registered in the state and the same info as feds. You could try to check on the Certificates of Good Standing under the company name and then push alittle from there.

JACUSTOMER-vaz1oh62- :

I did all of this. That's why I'm online with you. Apparently, you don't have the answer - just guessing like I did.

Robin D :

Well I sure wish I could have helped you .

Robin D :

You are not required to clcik accept but please come back if you have a tax question. Thanks