Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

We are going to take a one time distribution from our retirement

We are going to take a one time distribution from our retirement account to buy a house.
What are the tax consequences on this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Are you 59 1/2 or older?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Ok...generally, there is a 10% penalty on the amount withdrawn if you are under 59 1/2.....but,.if this is a first home, you would be qualify for an exemption. Also, if you borrow from your 401k rather than withdraw it, this would not be taxed at all, but you would be obligated to pay it back. Otherwise, this withdrawal would be included in your ordinary income and taxed at your marginal income tax rate.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.