Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I live in CA. I have a rental property in WA that for the past

I live in CA. I have a rental property in WA that for the past several years I've been renting to family members. The rent has been at a high enough value that I've claimed it as a rental property. Now, starting at the beginning of this year 2 of my brother in-law's have moved out. This leaves my Inlaws there that are not working and now not paying any rent to me. Now my wife and I pay the complet house payment on our own and are supporting her parents. My question is; can we and should we cliaim her parents as dependants? If yes what do I need to do to get my ducks in a row for this upcoming tax season.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 3 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Customer:

OK

Stephen E. Grizey :

What is there source of income? Not working but do they receive social security, pension income etc. How much of their total support do you provide? If you know?

Stephen E. Grizey :

there = their

Customer:

My Father in-law is on disability but I"m not sure how much he gets. Mother in-law babysits for her neighbor for a very small amount of money.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Well if he is on social security disability he would basically be receiving approximately his full retirement benefit; they may also qualify for other programs for fuel assistance, SNAP (food);

Stephen E. Grizey :

the fair rental value of the property would be your major item unless you are also sending them money;

Customer:

At this time we just pay the morgage. They have mostly been supported through their lives from thier children as they are from Cambodia and uneducated. She has done housekeeping for hotels and he's only done some production work at small factories.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Here's a link to a summary of the steps that you need to consider if you are to claim them as dependents.

Stephen E. Grizey :

http://www.ehow.com/how_7534518_claim-parent-dependent-taxes.html

Customer:

OK, that looks like a good place to start.

Stephen E. Grizey :

It isn't how they have been supported, it is whether or not you have provided more than 1/2 of their support and you said they were unemployed so the income test of $3,650. probably won't apply. If they receive at least that much in gross taxable income (either one or both individually) you couldn't claim them as dependents.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to ACCEPT, it is the only way we get credit for out work. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Customer:

OK, I thank you for your time. I'll do some reading and see how it works out. - All the best!

Stephen E. Grizey :

Thanks for using our service!

Stephen E. Grizey :

"ACCEPT" >00<

Stephen E. Grizey :

Are you all set for now or do you have another question?

Customer:

I'm set for now, thanks,

Stephen E. Grizey :

Do you see how you "ACCEPT"? that will turn this into a question/answer & I can leave open if you wish in case you have a follow-up

Customer:

I have already pressed the accept button. Do i need to do it again?

Stephen E. Grizey :

Yes, evidently it didn't work.

Customer:

OK will do...

Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues