How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14829
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much money can I give to a South-African person tax fr

Customer Question

how much money can I give to a South-African person tax free
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.

Hello, welcome, and thank you for choosing Just Answer.


In order for me to accurately answer this question, I need to know if you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a dual South African and British citizen, (I have nothing to do with US).

I want to know if I give a South- AFRICAN citizen who lives in SOuth-Africa a gift of money, how much can I give them without THEM then having to pay tax on it. ( in SOuth-AFrica) SARS
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Gift tax is payable where a gift of property is given to another individual who receives the gift (i.e. the beneficiary). The taxable base of the gift is usually the net value of the gift. The gift tax due is usually at a rate of 20%. No gift tax is applied if the value is less than R400. Each resident may only receive two gifts per year.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.
Please advise if you need more info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
she did not answer my question
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just cancel the query please
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

You can request to have Customer Service refund your deposit. I think others saw the relist and were confused as to the reason since my response advised on how much a South African could receive and not be taxed.

Please contact Customer Service and request the refund of your deposit. Thank you