Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

Can I claim sales tax back on electronics purchased in New

Can I claim sales tax back on electronics purchased in New York having returned to Ireland.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

If you purchased the electronics and paid NY sales tax you can claim a credit for the tax on the return of those items. The item was, effectively, not purchased. Therefore the tax that was paid should not have been paid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not wish to return the items. I wish to know if I can claim the sales tax back.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Under these circumstances, you will not be able to claim a refund due you for this tax. NYS views you as the end consumer and if you had returned the items would offer the credit. However, the items not being returned, you will not eligible for a return of the sales tax.