Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I filed my taxes (separately from my husband) even though we

Customer Question

I filed my taxes (separately from my husband) even though we live in the same house. When I filed my taxes for 2010, I had not received the mortgage interest statement from PNC mortgage. Owning a house is new to us so we didn't know what to do. I just filed "married filing separately" using Are we supposed to get money back on interest paid on the mortgage?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. You are each entitled to deduct 1/2 of the mortgage interest expense paid if you both on the house and paid it with marital assets. This deduction should reduce your taxable income and thus the tax owed. You should file an amended return (Form 1040X) to include your share of the mortgage interest expense.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.