Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I bought my home in 2007 for 417,000. Before I had lived in

I bought my home in 2007 for 417,000. Before I had lived in it for the required 2 years, my mom came down with dementia and I had to sell it at a loss. I sold it for 340,000. There were no capitol gains. My I have to pay taxes on the $340,000 even though it was a loss? Thanks

Good afternoon. No....since the proceeds from sale were less than your basis, there is no gain and thus no taxes are owed. Unfortunately, the IRS does not allow you take a loss on the sale of your home.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.