Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I filed my 2010 taxes and I did not claim a dependant. However,

I filed my 2010 taxes and I did not claim a dependant. However, when I entered expenses for that dependant it added my child to my return as a dependant. My ex-spouse was supposed to claim our child for the 2010 tax year. I have already filed and received a refund. My ex-spouse has not filed yet.

How can I change my tax return so that my ex-spouse can claim the dependant?

Will there be a penalty for me for doing so?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. You simply need to file a Form 1040X and amend your return. If the change results in an increase in your tax, you will owe interest and a small penalty based on the amount of the increased tax amount.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.