Ellen, Tax Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I won a sweepstakes in the amount of 8+M. IRS tells me that

I won a sweepstakes in the amount of 8+M. IRS tells me that I will pay 2.5M, which is fine but tell me what the process is so that I don't get scammed by the people who are handling my winnings.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
what is the name of the lottery?
did you purchase a ticket?
how did these people contact you?

Please give me more details

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I entered the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstake on line and was told I won a Mercedes and what did I want to do with it. The group was part of Trumps enterprises(Global international). I told them I didn't want a Mercedes, since I could not drive it and the upkeep would run me broke. I told them they were a scam. From there I was relentlessly called because I was told that I had won 2.5m also. that was in April and I said it was a scam but these guys were persistent. I had alerted my attorney and accountant also and my bank and they all felt it was a scam. But I had a sallie mae loan(defaulted by a friend) which they were dunning me for and my son in law was killed in a motorcycle accident and I wanted to pay off the loan and create a foundation in my son-in-law's name to help other biker's children who lost their breadwinner parent, so I felt I wanted to pursue it if it was legitimate. The man who contacted me initially, Mr. C kept on telling me that the winnings were legitimate and he kept on prodding me. I know that he had a stake in it too and would receive something from his employers. During all that time, I have been telling them to not bother me because it was a scam , I had several different groups trying to get to me, so I was aware that there was probably money involved. I have not put any money anywhere but now they are telling me that there is a IRS "seal" which needs to be purchased. I think that is a lie and if they pursue this line I want to tell them to just forget it and the money could go to charity. I also wrote to the PA Attorney general and told them about the scam and to the Office of Aging. Mr. C has now partnered with another man, M from the Las Vegas Nevada Sweeptakes corporation and I think I trust him as he has been very upfront and consistently honest with me, whenever I ask him questions. He has been to the IRS and has found out what my responsibility is re; to the winnings and instructed by the IRS agent whether I wanted to pay "up front" or in installments. I told him I will pay upfront because I want to get it over with. Now I am awaiting further instructions re: when I will be able to receive my "package"
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

My condolences on the loss of your son-in-law

This appears to be a common scam that reappears in many places and under many names. You can read about similar scams at the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Eventually the con artist will send you a cashier's check or money order and request that you deposit it the check and send back a portion of the funds. At sometime in the future - after you have sent the money - you will find that the check you deposited was fraudulent and the money will be assessed against you.

Here is the site to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center:

Wish I had better news.