William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting
50200401

How can I find out if my taxes were filed electronically?

Can I find out if my taxes were filed electronically? I haven't been able to get in touch with my accountant. I believe he might have filed an extension. I file jointly with my wife. Thank You.

Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 5 years ago.

William Ellis, CPA:

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Presuming you are expecting a balance due, you can call the IRS @ 1-***-***-****, and a representative will tell you if there's any record of your return. If you are looking at a refund, it's much easier. Go to www.irs.gov and select "Where's My Refund" on the right side of the screen. If the return has been filed longer than a week or so, there will be some record of it there. Thank you.

Customer:

I don't know, if my taxes were filed. I don't have any paperwork. I just know there was an extension and he files electronically. I can't get my accountant, on the phone and I’ve called many times. The question is can you find out if the taxes have been filed?

William Ellis, CPA:

I cannot. Even though you typed your social security number in the question, for your protection, I cannot see it. I would go to your accountant's office and find out what is going on. Otherwise, your best bet is to call the IRS. I would suggest calling the IRS. If you can, put them on speaker phone so you can do something else while waiting. I really would try to find out if your accountant is out of town before calling the IRS. If he/she works with someone else, they can probably see whether your return has been e-filed.

Customer:

No messages could be left, his answering machine was full, on his cell. The regular number went unanswered and messages were full. On April 16, he goes on vacation. the phone message was changed, when he and his son returned. I was able to leave messages but no answer. He must be overloaded with work. I've known him for about 25 years and always spoke to him or his son. Other people have told me the same. Thank you.

William Ellis, CPA:

I'd drive over there. You've probably already paid him, so it's your right to know the status of your returns.