How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to fill out IT-2104?

This answer was rated:

I need help filling out my w-4 and IT-2104 can anyone help me? I live in New York State and I will be starting a new job next week. Our situation is like this - my wife has been working for two years and earns 90K per year. I will be earning 40K per year starting June 13 2011. I have rec'd New York State unemployment of $8,866 to date this year and do not withhold anything from unemployment. My wife will contribute $3,750 to her 401K this year. We do not own a house so we will be taking the standard deduction when we file for 2011. We have no dependents and are not dependents of anyone else. We only get the making work pay credit and the student loan interest credit (2500).

How should our W-4's and IT-2104 forms be filled out in order to now owe or have to pay NYS and the Feds?

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer!

So far - your total estimated gross income will be:

Wages - $40 / 12 months * 6.5 months = $21,670

Unemployment Benefits - $8,866

Your spouse's wages $90,000 - $3,750 (401K contribution) = $86,250

Minus student loan interest deduction $2,500

Total - $114,286

Assuming standard deduction - your estimated federal income tax liability is $15,460. Because both - you and your spouse are working - your better to use status on W-4 form "Married, but withhold at higher Single rate" -

If your spouse will use two allowances - her federal income tax withholding would be $15,312.

If you will use two allowances - your federal income tax withholding would be $1,400.

So you may expect - $1,200 refund when you file your tax return.

So I suggest you both file your W-4 form using status "Married, but withhold at higher Single rate" with two allowances. The same filing should be for IT-2104 form.

Customer: So we both should claim two allowances on each of our W-4s? As well as on our IT-2104s? The bottom line is for each of our W-4s we both claim two allowances on our respective W-4. One our NYS withholding we again both claim two allowances. Are you sure we can claim both two allowances on both of our W-4s as well as for IT-2104?

LEV: That is correct - according to estimation above - you will due $1,200 refund when you will file your joint tax return. I do not have NY calculator - but assume there will be $300-$400 refund as well.

Customer: But based on the above information we won't own for NYS right?

LEV: That is correct - you should not owe any taxes but will have a refund instead.

Customer: For my wife to make these changes should we print out new withholding forms for fed and NYS and fill them out and submit them to HR or should we first contact HR to get the forms from them to edit?

LEV: If your spouse filed differently and wants to change withholding - she should submit a new form.

Customer: Okay, thanks.


You may print forms if you want

Customer: Okay, thanks

LEV: You are welcome.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions