Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

One of my children is autistic. What about income tax forms

One of my children is autistic. He lives outside the U.S. in a European country. He is 40 years old and not capable of taking care of himself in any way. He is under the care of a caretaker who is not a family member. As I (mother) am now older I want to see that his legal situation is clear before I pass on. Because of his handicap, can I get a form which releases him from the duty of filing income tax forms? He has no income other than a pension from the government. If such a possibility does not exist the only other alternative is that I give up his American passport and that seems too bad. Any advice? What would a family with an autistic child do inside the States about income tax forms for their adult handicapped child? Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. I am sorry but U.S. citizens regardless of their medical condition are subject to tax on worldwide income and must file a federal income tax return.