Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
50725912

I was sent a letter stating I owe fees for my 2009 taxes tried

Customer Question

I was sent a letter stating I owe fees for my 2009 taxes tried on-line but for some reason they didn't like my answers, and tired 4 times to reach someone via phone. I just want to set up a payment plan. I owe 422.94 - I can pay 22.94 now and 100 each month there after until paid. I broke my hip so I can't get to the local IRS office. Please advise what I can do. Thanks Appreciate any help you can give me.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 5 years ago.

Jacy :

Hello

Jacy :

Have you tried the setting up the payment plan online at IRS.gov?

Jacy :

Here is a link:

JACUSTOMER-419pk1yi- :

I've tried numerous times on line but to no avail I get to a certain point and it say to call them for assistance to which I can never get through.

Jacy :

Hmmm... that sounds frustrating. I'd try the Form. Send it in with as soon as you can and include a payment.

JACUSTOMER-419pk1yi- :

I won't be assessed more penalties will I?

Jacy :

The late payment penalty will continue to accrue each month on the unpaid balance. It is one-half of one percent.

Jacy :

Actually, if you can pay this off within 120 days, don't waste your money on the installment plan set up fee. Just send in what you can. Keep trying to call and let them know your plan.

JACUSTOMER-419pk1yi- :

Okay hope you are correct. I will send them the 22.94 today and state the rest will follow over the next 4 months, per your advice.

Jacy :

Just make sure you call or include a letter with your intentions. The more you communicate with them, the better.

Jacy :

Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-419pk1yi- :

Thanks the communication is the problem. I may just take a cab there Monday. Hate not to have something in writing that they will accept my offer.

JACUSTOMER-419pk1yi- :

Appreciate you help.

Jacy :

A cab sounds expensive. Keep trying to call. Just make sure you have plenty of time to wait on hold.

Jacy :

Thank you for using our site.