How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding this same issue, I have an additional doubt, where

Customer Question

I'm a non-resident alien, I have mutual funds in US. I have no other income from US, so all my income is NOT effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business.

I plan to fill out form 1040NR, and use the "Simplified Procedure for Claiming Certain Refunds" explained on page 4 of the instructions for form 1040NR.

I have a doubt, where (at schedule NEC) do I enter the amounts of column 2a (Total Capital Gains distributions) of my 1099-DIV forms? I think it may be at line 16G, but I don't have the information to complete fields 16b to 16e.

What do I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

These entries get recorded on Schedule D of the form 1040. It is used as an attachment to the 1040NR for this purpose. From the Schedule D they transfer to the front page of the 1040NR.

I will get the specific line numbers for you and return.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.
The Schedule D items, when totaled get transferred to line 14 of the 1040NR.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know (from page 18 of pub 519) , I should not use "schedule D" since all of my income is not "Effectively connected with US trade/business".

Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.
Dividends, interest, and capital gain distributions are considered as effectively connected with US trade/business. That is why they are being reported on the 1099 by your broker.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Now Im confused, as I said on my original question, I was planning to use the "Simplified Procedure for Claiming Certains Refunds". I decided so after previous question, and maily for what is stated in page 18 of PUB 519:

Trading in stocks, securities, and commodities. If your only U.S. business activity is trading in stocks, securities, or commodities(including hedging transactions) through a U.S. resident broker or other agent, you are not engaged in a trade or business in the United States.

Then (assuming that mutual fund fall in that category), thats exactly my case.

Now, I did not received any 1042S form (I believe because I have had problems updating my W8BEN), only 1099-DIV.

So, for what I understand I only have to fill out schedule NEC, not schedule D, or do I have to fill out both?

Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

This is a case concerning word use. While you, personally, are not effectively connected, the funds you have invested in are so connected. Also, you are not a broker so you are an investor. Investors are not effectively connected although their investments may be.


You need to complete Schedule D for capital gains and Schedule NEC for interest and dividends. Both will be required of you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience