Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I have a tax deffered IRA where I am able to trade stocks.

I have a tax deffered IRA where I am able to trade stocks. Despite the fact that the moneys in the account are tax deffered, am I still liable for the usual capitol gains taxes
if I sell a dividend bearing account with out holding on to that stock for what I understand is the required 61 days?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 5 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

No. All transactions within the IRA are exempt from current taxation. Only upon withdrawal does the regular tax arise, unless of course you're dealing with a Roth IRA which may mean no tax if the other Roth IRA rules are met.

Customer:

Does this mean that upon withdrawl I WILL be held liable for capitol gains taxes which may have been incurred, for example 10 years earlier?

Stephen E. Grizey :

NO. Not at all. You'll never pay capital gains tax on the transaction. You'll simply pay any tax due on the withdrawal of funds from the IRA.

Customer:

Thank you!