Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

Im a non-resident alien, I have mutual funds in US. I have

I'm a non-resident alien, I have mutual funds in US. I have no other income from US, so all my income is NOT effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business.

I plan to fill out form 1040NR, and use the "Simplified Procedure for Claiming Certain Refunds" explained on page 4 of the instructions for form 1040NR.

I got a 1099-DIV form from fidelity that says;

Tax reporting information is supplied to you by each mutual fund as a separate reporting entity. The IRS requires Fidelity to report each
mutual fund separately and to not include an aggregate total of all funds. Report these amounts on the appropriate IRS Form 1040 for each
mutal fund. Do not report amounts in aggregate under Fidelity Investments.

And then the form shows several lines, one for each mutual fund I hold.

My question is:
Do I have to fill out several copies of schedule NEC on the 1040NR form, one for each fund; or can I just enter the total dividends paid by all funds? (on line 1a of schedule NEC)?

Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You are only required to complete one Schedule NEC for all the items (combined). I also recommend that, if you intend to mail in the forms, you attach a copy of the year end tax statement from your broker. It will assist in identifying all items and help avoid any processing errors. (This last step is not required, just my own view.)