How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lev Your Own Question

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25582
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a California resident for 27 years. I am moving

Resolved Question:

I have been a California resident for 27 years. I am moving to Brazil permanently, but will continue to work for a California corporation remotely from my computer in Brazil. I will be in their payroll and my salary will be deposited in my Wells Fargo account in California. I will probably come back to California on vacation for two or three weeks every year.

Do I still have to pay California state income tax?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Two issues to consider - (1) if you will be a resident of CA and (2) if your income will be from CA sources.

1. Here is the publication -

Any individual who is a resident of California continues to be a resident when absent from the state for a temporary or transitory purpose.

An absence from California under an employment-related contract for a period of at least 546 consecutive days may be considered an absence for other than a temporary or transitory purpose.

See also on the page 5 - Example 7 – You are a resident of California and a single taxpayer. You accept a three-year assignment in Japan. Your assignment in Japan covers the period January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2011. You rented out your residence and put your truck and belongings in storage in California. You maintained your California bank accounts, driver’s license, and voter registration. You have less than $200,000 of intangible income during each year. Upon completion of your assignment, you intend to return to California. You returned to California to visit family no longer than a total of 45 days during 2009 or 2010.

Determination: You meet the safe harbor rule. You are a nonresident during your absence from the state.

2. If your employer maintain your workplace in California and for whatever reason allows you to work from home – your workplace will be considered in California and your wages will be taxes for this state regardless of your residency.

However if your employer officially doing business in Brazil and employs you as a local employee – your wages will be considered from Brazil sources and as long as you will not be a resident of CA – the compensation will not be taxable for that state.

The location of your employer is irrelevant in determination if your wages are taxable for CA – but the location of your workplace is used in determination.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.


Thank you. You did answer my question very well. According to it I will have to pay taxes in California, because in effect my "workplace" is in California, but my boss let's me work from home (which will be Brazil). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to make sure I will do the right thing by the state.


Appreciate your understanding. While formally - your workplace will be outside CA - your employer will likely report wages as from CA sources - please confirm with your employer.
If that is correct - CA FTB will assess taxes on these wages - and you will not be able to convince them otherwise.
Please be sure you accept the answer. Experts are only credited if the answer is accepted.
If you find out later that you need any additional help - be sure to came back.
Sorry if you expected a different answer.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 25582
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience