Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

Can a parent claim an 18 year old child who has not been living

Customer Question

Can a parent claim an 18 year old child who has not been living at home since June of 2010. They are 18 years old and and have been supporting themselves? This 18 year old has her own apartment pays her own bills. Her father claimed her on taxes without even asking her. Is that legal ?
Submitted: 5 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. No, because the 18 year old doesn't live at home and the father doesn't provide more than 1/2 of the 18-year old's support.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.