Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a CPA who has a client with a tax lien dated 6-2-98.

I am a CPA who has a client with a tax lien dated 6-2-98. It is my understanding the IRS has 10 years to collect or the liability becomes uneforceable (subject to rules). If this is true, what is the procedure for getting the lien released?
Category: Tax
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Just to clarify - the lien is already ten years old, but has not been released?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes!
I am going to opt out and open this up for other experts. My apologies for the inconvenience.
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Usually 10 years after a tax is assessed, a lien releases automatically if the IRS has not filed it again. If the IRS knowingly or negligently does not release a Notice of Federal Tax Lien when it should be released, you may sue the federal government (but not IRS employees) for damages.

Most likely your client's lien has been already released, but for some reason the Certificate of Release was not sent out.
You may request a Copy of the Certificate see the procedure here - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1450.pdf
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations