socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

On Scchedule A of Itemized deductions on line 5 General sales

Customer Question

On Scchedule A of Itemized deductions on line 5 General sales taxex I have the amount of $1269.00, do you know what forms I would of gotten this amt. from? I had a AARP person do this and I can not come up with it. The IRS is questioning this amot. Thank you Linda Carson
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
There is no IRS form associated with the sales tax entry. There are worksheets found in Publication 600. The tax preparer may have used a separate worksheet and not provided it to you with your return.

Ultimately, to satisfy an IRS audit letter, you will need physical receipts for purchases, and an itemized spreadsheet accounting for those receipts.

The specificity with which the entry appears to be made, suggests that either the tax preparer had receipts from you as a basis for the total, or that he/she was committing a bit of tax fraud on your behalf. In the former case, he/she ought to be able to produce the supporting documentation. And, in either case, failure to do so would be malpractice and you could sue the tax preparer for any penalties and interest that you sustain as a result of the tax preparer's breach of the duty of care to you in the preparation of the tax return.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

Note: a colleague informs me that there is an electronic sales tax calculator available at this link. Also, Pub. 600 is obsolete, so you are better off with the calculator as your assistant.

Sorry for any possible confusion.