Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Hello, I have a 1031 tax deferred exchange question. I

I have a 1031 tax deferred exchange question.

I purchased a property (Property A) for $84,000.00 in 2005 and sold it two years later for $164,000.00. I sold the property and completed a 1031 tax deferred exchange and purchased another property (Property B) for $168,000.00.

Now I need to sell Property B, but it’s only worth about $155,000.00 (and I owe about $132,000.00). Do you have an idea as to what my capital gains tax would be?

Thanks for your assistance!

Good morning. Your basis is going to be $84,000 and your sale proceeds are going to be $155,000 (less closing costs). Your debt amount is not relevant. Thus, your gain is going to be $155,000 less $84,000 = $71,000.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your prompt reply. The capital gains is $71,000.00, but based on the information I provided, do you know what I would pay in taxes on that gain? 15%? 20%?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I appreciate your prompt reply. The capital gains is $71,000.00, but do you know -- based on the information I provided -- what I would pay in taxes? 15%? Thanks!

If you are in the 0% - 15% marginal income tax bracket (including this gain), then the federal tax rate on the capital gain is zero. Otherwise, the federal capital gain rate would be 15%.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't include this as part of my original question, but the property in question is an investment property. Does that make any difference? Sorry for this oversight. That's my final question, so I won't bother you again. Thanks again for your assistance. You were a big help!
No worries.....Yes...same result. Take care!