Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I recently relocated to DC for a new job. I won a home in another

I recently relocated to DC for a new job. I won a home in another state. I am staying in temporary corporate housing (essentially a hotel). I will move into a leased apartment when my household goods are delivered on July 7. Will I be required to pay DC income tax this year? My hope is "no" as I will be domiciled in DC for less than 183 days.
Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
If you move into DC in the middle of the tax year - you will be part year resident - and will be required to report your income after you move into DC.
If you are temporary in DC and lived there less than 183 days - you will be treated as non-resident and are nor required to file DC tax return.

LEV :

Please see for reference - http://otr.cfo.dc.gov/otr/frames.asp?doc=/otr/lib/otr/income_and_expense_2011/2010_d-40_d-40ez.with_line_23_correction_030211pdf.pdf
You must file a 2010 DC individual income tax return if –
• You were a District of Columbia (DC) resident in 2010 and were required to file a federal income tax return. (A resident is an individual whose permanent legal residence is within the District during the taxable year.), or
• You maintained a place of residence in DC for a total of 183 days or more during 2010 even if your permanent residence was outside DC, or
• You were a member of the U.S. armed forces and DC was your legal residence for tax purposes for all or part of 2010.

Customer:

so by simply moving here at ANY time during the year I am a resident?

LEV :

If "by simply moving" you change your residency - you become a resident.
If you temporary move into DC and lived there less than 183 days - you will be treated as non-resident for tax purposes.

Customer:

I am not formally changing my residency, I own a home in another state and am keeping my drivers license, voting, etc in that state. I will have two homes. The DC home I will live in for less than 183 days this year. But the job is long-term. So am I a resident? The definition above basically says resident=someone whose permanent legal residence is in DC. I do not know if that is true of me. I guess the question is what is a permanent legal residence

LEV :

There is no strict definition of a "permanent legal residence."
For tax purposes - A resident is an individual whose permanent legal residence is within the District during the taxable year.

LEV :

You may decide where is your permanent legal residence.

Customer:

thank you!