Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I had a sales tax audit in Illinois, an I was given Notice

Customer Question

I had a sales tax audit in Illinois, an I was given Notice of results,(EDA-105-R) along with a penalty and interest. The amount in question was paid, but the auditors returned because they said they made an error and they stated that we owe more money. The Notice was signed by both the state and myself, is it legal for them to reopen our audit, do I have any legal ground to resist another review??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The notice that was signed by both an IL DOR agent and yourself may not be treated as a contract. They may review and assess additional tax liability within three years statute of limitation.
If an assessment is correct - there is nothing you may do to resist it.
You may however apply for Abatement of a Penalty based on a reasonable cause. If accepted - that will be some relief.
Sorry if you expected a different answer. Let me know if you need any help.