Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

We had a total loss house fire. We received a large payment

Customer Question

We had a total loss house fire. We received a large payment from our insurance company for this loss. Do I need to report this on our tax return? If so, how?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. No, the payment is not taxable to you because it did not involve any net increase to your net was simply a reimbursement of the damages you suffered in your fire and thus it is not income and need not be reported.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.