Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If a trust is part owner of an entity and the entity has a

If a trust is part owner of an entity and the entity has a Section 179 deductions does the deduction get allocated based on ownership even though the Trust cannot use the deduction or does it get allocated to the owners that can use the deduction?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. The deduction must be allocated as provided in the operating document for the entity without regard to whether or not it is deductible, but allocations of loss in the operating document, except with respect to nonrecourse deductions, must have substantial economic effect. It's a very complex concept and too complicated for this forum, but basically you are not allowed to allocate certain allocations to one owner and other allocations to another owner based on whether or not one owner can deduct the losses and the other cannot.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.