socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I recently sold a property in Arizona at a considerable loss.

I recently sold a property in Arizona at a considerable loss. On top of that the US government took away ten percent of the selling price in taxes. That`s over 40-thousand dollars US. Is there any way I can recover all or part of that money? T. Parsonage.
Victoria, British Columbia
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
The US-Canada Tax treaty provides reciprocal taxes and credits between nations.

You can file a form 1040NR, and, if you had no gain on sale, then you would owe no tax to the USA, and the Department of the Treasury will refund to you the entire 10% withheld.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.