Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

how should a person start when dealing with the IRS , when

how should a person start when dealing with the IRS , when a person has not filed taxes in about 9 years, has been employed, just always put it off. No lettes or wage garnishes have happened yet. but now that we have a home we want to deal with it before IRS wants to deal with this major problems first. what is the first step to take, we do not have all of the w-2, only w-2's from the past 4 years. Please direct me to the right step.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
1. If the IRS has not contacted you - there is no need for "dealing with the IRS.
2. First - file all your tax returns for past four years for which you have all required information. You may only file electronically for 2010. For previous years - your only option is to file paper returns and mail them to the IRS. Let me know if you need references to tax forms for these years.
3. Because you were paid wages - most likely federal taxes were withheld from your paycheck - and your actual tax liability will be minimal - if any - or you are entitled for a refund.
4. If the refund is due - the IRS will issue checks only for 2008 and later years - the statute of limitation to claim a refund is three years - and for years 2007 and before has been run out.
5. If you do not have W2 or other informational tax forms - you may order account tax transcript from the IRS. There is no charge for transcripts - but it might take some time to get these transcripts. Let me know if you need help in ordering transcripts.
6. If you owe any additional taxes - there will be penalties and interest charges based on the amount you owe.
The main issue - is to fill tax forms and estimate your tax liability or refund.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.