Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

How much money can I gift to my adult children without them

How much money can I gift to my adult children without them paying income tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. There is never any income tax payable with respect to gifts. And, they will not incur gift tax as a result of gifts from you. But, the gifts that you can make to your children without incurring any gift tax are as follows: i) you can give $13,000 per year per child without doing anything; and ii) in addition, you have a $5,000,000 lifetime gift exemption...meaning you can give an additional $5,000,000 in the aggregate to your children during your life without incurring any gift tax, but you will need to file a gift tax return to report to the IRS how much of your exemption you are using with each gift.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.