Zip Taxes
Zip Taxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC Licensed / Mgmt Experience with H & R Block... Self Employed since 1986 Experienced in all Scheds

I am working in a company since 2009. I was on student f1 visa

I am working in a company since 2009. I was on student f1 visa (OPT) up till Sept 2010 and my status changed from student visa to H1 in Oct 2010.

When I joined the company, I was not fully aware of tax laws and I paid SSN and medicare taxes that I am not supposed to pay while I was on student visa.

I want to know if I can claim back the SSN and medicare taxes that I paid in 2010 while I was on student visa?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Zip Taxes replied 5 years ago.

Zip Taxes :

Welcome to Just Answers, I will do my best to Answer your Question.

Zip Taxes :

Usually, the Employer must reimburse you the money and it is the employer's responsibility to get reimbursed from the government entities. So go back to the employer or the Human Resources Department and let them know of the issue, they should be able to fix it for you.

Zip Taxes :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it works out for you.