Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

My mininster is the Pastor of our church, however he receives

My mininster is the Pastor of our church, however he receives no compensation. He works full time elsewhere and currently we are unable to pay a salary. Can he claim mileage to and from church, as well as miles to visit members who require counselling, sick, etc.
If the miles are considered a charitable donation and the costs exceeds $500, where would I report the miles on his return.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. Ministers who receive no compensation for services are are only allowed to deduct out-of-pocket business expenses as charitable contributions. His expenses will be reported on Sch. A, charitable contributions as a cash contribution.