socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My fencing team is a 501c3 and we recently had a benefit tournament

My fencing team is a 501c3 and we recently had a benefit tournament for a retired, and terminally ill coach. May I simply write him a check from our club's account for the money we raised for him?
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Assuming that the person is not a disqualified person, then you can write a check as a charitable distribution. IRC § 4958(f)(1).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.