Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

i really like the answer to my first question would Ihave file

Customer Question

i really like the answer to my first question would Ihave file an income tax return
Category: Tax
Expert:  Zip Taxes replied 3 years ago.

Zip Taxes :

Welcome to Just Answers, I will do my best to Answer your Question.

Zip Taxes :

IRS states that if your filing status are the following:

Zip Taxes :

Single = 9,350

Zip Taxes :

Single and over 65 = 10,750

Zip Taxes :

That is the minimum before you have to file.

Zip Taxes :

Though, if you had any money with held from your check for IRS or State, you should file so you can get all the money back plus possible EIC and Schedule M, Making Work Pay Credit Refun.

Zip Taxes :

Thanks :)

Customer :

you could not have read my question..............married filing jointly over 62 2inthe year 2000 from the years 2004 til 2008 making annually 580 and 1200 on social security which is taxable 50% i believe

Customer :

plus 11,484 and 5400=16484 +1/2 of social security $ 9000 approx for a grand total of $25484 this figure was less in 2003 but lets use it anyway just to make sure we;ve been doing the right thing only

Customer :

differance now in 2008 we were 71 and 74 years of age the question still is do we or are we required to file a income tax return

Customer :

error in first line of question should be 62 and 65 years of age 5;16,5;27,5;30 and now all one question

Customer :

you've given more disclaimers than answers

Customer :

I don't know what the 16 dollars is above..... but i really like the answer to my first question when i first signed up with you guys......you asked a question today at 10:45 I have not written or had any contact til now since i first payed you guys for the dribble i got from your counterpart I payed to get an answer and have yet to get any thing of any vaue to me if your looking for another 16 dollars please delete my name and card # from your info bank thankz

Customer :

can you answer the above question this my only question which has never been answered yet

Customer :

and its a federal tax return we are talking about

Customer :

I know you may like your first answer it did not tax your mind and i never sent that question to anyone im looking for the answer to the entire question do am i required to file a return jointly on the basis of$25,484 income both over 70 years old the entire guestion may be to taxing

Customer :

this is US federal income tax return we are talking about I cannot for the life of me understand where you would come up with state /country: minnesota unless your more used to doing other coutry returns

Customer :

in looking at your answer you miss understood I was looking for an answer to my orignal question that i signed up with you guys to begin with which is basicly above maybe expanded a bit all this writting is one question and only one question am I required to file a joint federal return 25,484 income

Customer :

65 and older

Zip Taxes :

Thank you... I'm going to opt out, the question that shows here was 1 question: my first and only question I've never recieved a good and useable answer in writting my secound question would be if i had 5400 more in income would i have to file an income tax form

Zip Taxes :

really like the answer to my first question would Ihave file an income tax return

Zip Taxes :

so, I had no idea what your question was... good bye

Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

I am sorry that you are having trouble getting an answer to your question. I have read your original exchange, and it appears that you and your wife file jointly and are both over 65, and have 11484 per year of pension income, and $22284 in Social Security Income. Your SS income is not necessarily 50% taxable, but in order to find out in any IS taxable, you are correct that you add 50% of your SS to your other income and compare it to your "base amount" ---which is $32000.

Your filing threshold for 2010 is $20900. So right now, since none of your SS benefits are taxable, your potentially taxable income is $11484 and you do not have to file a federal tax return.

If your SS benefit amount stays the same, using 2010 numbers, you can make approx. $9374 before you would be required to file a return. At this level of income, your SS benefits would still not be taxable at all.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.