Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am a going to become a graduate student starting in the fall

I am a going to become a graduate student starting in the fall and will be moving out of state for school. I actually own a condo and will not sell it during my two years in school. During the two years, I plan to not sell and continue to pay state and local property taxes. Could I still claim the condo as my principle residence even though I'll be out of state and renting another apartment near school?

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Yes - you are are out of home temporary while at school - your home still will be considered your primary home.
You may deduct your mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your tax return.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Just a clarifying question - I live in Chicago and there is a homeowner exemption program that reduces the tax if you as a owner are living in the property as a principle unit. can i also make that exemption claim as well?

Here is the exact website link with the description: ??