Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

I have protection order which restrains my spouse 25 feet awy

I have protection order which restrains my spouse 25 feet awy from me. I live separately fron june last year. My spouse requested me to file last year taxes joinlty as married filing jointly. I think that it would be fraud because we physically cannot be at the same building d/t my protection order so I filed married,separated,head of household taxws. Am I correct or I did mistake?

Anne :

Anne :

If you and your husband did not spend even 1 night together for the last 6 months of the year (July1-Dec 31), and you have a qualifying individual, such as a child, that you provided more than 50% of the cost of maintaining the home, then you are perfectly within your rights to file as Head of Household

Anne :

Do you have any follow up questions I can help you with?