Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.

My daughter physically moved out the last weekend of Sept 10.

Customer Question

My daughter physically moved out the last weekend of Sept 10. I never had her pay rent or towards health insurance, as she was still on my plan that i paid for, meals were available for her but she mostly ate at boyfriends house or take-out foods; never asked for money towards household utitlities, etc, as she usually wasnt home anyways. She was at fault for a veh accident, put the amount due $1800 from repair shop on my credit card and I only had her pay the $1800 back, I paid the interest to try to help her out.
I kept her on my auto insurance, listed my name on her car title with her, kept her on my cellphone plan, but i had her pay her montly payments for them. I asked of her to help with chores around the house but I was lucky if she did something once a month for me.
She feels she was to claim herself because she stayed with her boyfriend most nights and wasnt hardly ever home. she physically moved out at the end of the 2010 year so i claimed her believing i was able to do so. what are the rules/laws on this? She says she made $10,000 in 2010 (she was born oct 1991 -not sure if you needed to know that) I asked her to make an appt with an acct for her and I to figure this out but she says she spoke to an accountant over the phone and was told I was completely in the wrong by claiming her & she has 2 suggestions for me. (i havent heard the suggestions yet) I can’t say if she really spoke to someone or not. Or if she really made $10,000 in 2010 or not.
Even though she and I did not have much of a relationship in her final year or so here living with me, I did not ask her to move out once she turned 18 and graduated from High School because she told us she was enlisting in the military instead of heading to college, and I didn’t want her stressed about being on her own until then. But this apparently fell through and she just worked at a part time job. Once things got to be too overwhelming here with me and her actions, that’s when I finally asked her to move out.
if i was incorrect by claiming her, i'll gladly give her what is owed to her. And how do we determine that?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 3 years ago.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Your daughter may be your dependent IF she was a full time student for some part of 5 months of the tax year and she does not qualify as a dependent on another tax return and is unmarried.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

You must have paid more than 50% of her total support for the year. Support can include her repair shop fees.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

IRS has a dependency support worksheet at www.irs.gov to determine if you paid more than 50% of her total support.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Her income does not matter if you paid more than 50% of her total support and she is under 19 (or age 19-24 and a full time student for some part of 5 months of the tax year). Her income is considered when using the worksheet as well as any amounts furnished by you.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Do you have other questions?

Customer:

her father paid $100 a week child support unil she graduated from HS in June 2010. does this dollar amount mean anything in all of this? ( our divorce documents I claim Caitlin, whom we are chatting about, and he claimed my oldest daughter, at the time he was able to)

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

child support paid to you by him is considered to be support furnished by you

Customer:

so i include that in my 50% of total support?

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

yes as amount you furnished for Caitlins support

Customer:

ok. i think i understand. she is coming over tonight to give me the 2 suggestions (??) and says she hopes i agree so she doesnt have to file papers? what if i dont agree with whatever she is going to say? should i just let her file papers? will that put me in a bad situation legally or is it just something that is filed and determined legally?

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

You both should go over the support worksheet. If she qualifies as your dependent, she may not claim herself even if you decide not to do so.

Customer:

ok. i am looking for the worksheet in the link you provided but cannot locate it. i am sorry, can you guide me where to locate it exactly? sorry.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

I suggest that each of you compute your return as is legal. Compare the differences (you need not see the information, but just share the results.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Give me just a minute to find the correct page of Pub 17 for you.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Go to page 33 of Pub 17 at www.irs.gov for the worksheet

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

Each of you should complete one to disable the dispute

Customer:

i am still unable to locate the form.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks :

When you are satified with my answer, please click on the accept button.

Experience: I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.

Do you have further questions?