Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I file my income tax but the wrong account number was put in,

Customer Question

I file my income tax but the wrong account number was put in, what happen to my refund and how do this get corrected?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Once the IRS e-file return is accepted, information pertaining to the payment, such as the account information, payment date or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment transaction and choose another payment method.
Taxpayers should call the Treasury Financial Agent, Customer Service, at 1-888-353-4537, toll-free, to cancel a payment or to report problems such as bank closures, lost or stolen bank account numbers, closed bank accounts or unauthorized transactions. Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Scheduled payments can be cancelled up to 8:00 p.m. local time, two (2) business days before the scheduled payment date. The cancellation must be authorized by the taxpayer.