Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

Is there a satute of limitation on tax fraud

Is there a satute of limitation on tax fraud?

Hi there. As set forth in the IRS rules and regulations, the following statutes of limitations apply with regard to tax fraud....

II. Statutes of Limitations
a. Civil Tax Fraud: No statute of limitations (tax can be assessed at any time).
b. Criminal Tax Fraud (Evasion): The criminal statute of limitations is only on the prosecution of the crime i.e. tax evasion (not the assessment of tax owed).

Generally, 3 years after the offense is committed.
Six (6) years for specified offenses (including: unreported income) (IRC §6531)
Under Federal Criminal Code (Title 18 U.S.C.A.) 5 years after the commission of a crime.
The statute begins to run when the last of the acts constituting the tax evasion is committed.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.