Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have 14 years working in this country as a non-alien resident

Customer Question

I have 14 years working in this country as a non-alien resident .

My W2 form has a SS# XXXXX the employee's section, instead of my ITIN
and I am having medicare and social security taxes witheld on it,
i use this w2 to file my taxes using my ITIN provided by IRS.

QUESTION 1: can the w2 bring me any problem for having a SS# XXXXX it instead of having my ITIN ?

Can i get any benefit if i become a legal resident from SSI AND SSA since i have been filing my taxes with my itin during 14 yrs?

please advice!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 3 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

My W2 form has a SS# on the employee's section - is that your SSN?

Customer :

No, it is not my SSN.

LEV :

Do you have a work authorization? What is your status in the US?

Customer :

i am an ilegal but i have my ITIN provided by the IRS to report my taxes

Customer :

The question is: I have reported my taxes using my ITIN number and my w2 has social security and medicare tax withheld. will i benefit from SSA and SSI as soon i become a legal resident for have been reporting my taxes?

Customer :

hello

LEV :

If you worked using a Social Security number that did not belong to you - the earnings are missing from your Social Security record - to be eligible for social security benefits based on these earnings - you need to correct Social Security record with Social Security Administration.

This proof could be:

• A W-2 form (Wage and Tax Statement);
  • A tax return;
  • A wage stub or pay slip;
  • Your own wage records; or
  • Any other written documents showing that you worked.

If you cannot find some written documents that show your earnings, try to remember the following facts and write them down:

• Where you worked;
  • The name of your employer;
  • The dates you worked;
  • How much you earned; and
  • The name and Social Security number you used when you worked.

To do that – you need to visit Social Security Administration local office or you can call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

LEV :

Let me know if you need any help.