Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

A parent has passed away w/o a will. she had an annuity account,

A parent has passed away w/o a will. she had an annuity account, Brokerage account and stocks all with her only adult child as beneficiary. Is there any tax on this "inheritance" ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. These assets will pass to her only child as the designated beneficiary notwithstanding the lack of a will. They are included in her estate, however, but will only be subject to an estate tax if the total value is high. The annuity could be subject to some income tax, the amount of which will depend upon whether the money going into the annuity was put there pre-tax or post-tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.