CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

my state refund seems way too much. why

my state refund seems way too much. why?

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

This refund amount is possible. If you have input all the data correctly, it may also be accurate. To get a better idea of any potential problems I would start by comparing this years return to last years return looking for any significant differences. Once you have identified any areas of concern you will be able to correct any input errors or at least return to me with comparative numbers. The more detail you provide me the better able I will be to guide you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the only difference i can see is when deductions wrer transferred from federal to state the amount of deductions came up to 26,000 because of selecting allowable state and sales tax option
That makes no sense whatsoever. There is definitely something wrong there. You could not possibly have a sales tax deduction of $26,000 on a $30,000 income. You should return to the sales tax computation page and verify your entry. The decimal may be in the wrong place. The sales tax is now showing at approximately 86%. Should it be 8.6% or something similar? That would then explain the problem.