Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My wife and her sister inherited a home from her mother in

My wife and her sister inherited a home from her mother in November 2009 and sold the home in February 2010 for about $120,000 and my wife received half. The real estate company turned in a 1099-S to the IRS. Is this taxable income? Her total inheritance was below $500,000 including this property.

Thanks,
Gordon

Good morning. No. When your mother died, the basis in the property was stepped up to its fair market value. Thus, when you sold it for its fair market value, there was no taxable gain....your share of proceeds: $120,000; your basis in that share of proceeds: $120,000; gain on sale is $0 and thus no tax. You would report this on Schedule D.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In Schedule D, is this considered a Short Term Capital Asset [Part I] (we had it for just 4 months) or Long Term Asset [Part II]? With the sales price and cost basis the same, should the description field include the fact that it was inherited property due to death?
It would be long term..you get to include your mother's holding period. You need only give a description of the actual property. You need not include any additional information.