How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jessica Legan, CPA Your Own Question

Jessica Legan, CPA
Jessica Legan, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  Indiana-based certified public accountant with 10 years of tax and accounting experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jessica Legan, CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

licensed CPA or Tax Attorney familiar with foreign workers

Customer Question

This question is for a licensed CPA or Tax Attorney who is familiar with small S Corporations and/or LLCs who hire people from India for work and pay them.

I have a client who has an LLC (state is Indiana , if that matters) and has her computer team ("web developers") working from Pakistan.

She sends them money via Western Union. The IRS (in her audit) stated they were not "employees" and she could not write off payments to them.

I want to know

1.) what can she do to make sure (what RULE or CODE of IRS LAW) that states she can in fact write these employees off, or how she should pay them (other than Company checks) via Western Union to argue for this writeoff. I know their has to be a way, considering Google and all those companies outsource.

2.) Does she need to file anything with the state or pay "the employees taxes" to do this? Since they are not and never will be US citizens, what is the procedure?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Jessica Legan, CPA replied 4 years ago.
Your client needs to make sure that these workers are treated as Contract Labor, as opposed to "employees." Calling them employees indicates that she controls their schedule, how they perform their work and possibly pays them benefits. If she does not do any of these things, they should likely be classified as "Independent Contractors" in which case she would not be required to pay employment taxes on their services. In addition, she would not take this expense as a "Salary and Wage" deduction on her tax return, but as a "Contract Labor" deduction.
To specifically answer your questions:
1) Please review this article to determine the proper classification of this labor expense.,,id=99921,00.html
From your description, it sounds as though they should be classified as Independent Contractors.
2) By classifying her team as Independent Contractors, she will not be required to pay employment taxes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jessica,

but if they are independant contractors isnt she required to 1099 them? They are not US Citizens (they are in Pakistan) so they cannot be 1099ed?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience